Everyday Little Moments » Oliver, BC Family and Children's Photographer.

A Day in My Life


Last fall (November 18) I photographed a day in my life. While incredibly challenging, I found it to be a great experience to see what my day looks like in photographs.  I knew right away that it was something that I wanted to do at least once a year.  How amazing to have a snapshot of my days as the years go by.  Since our kids are in preschool, Kindergarten and grade one, I thought it would be neat to photograph a “regular” day with them all at home before school starts.  Not that I’m really sure what regular is, since every day is different and this just happened to be a home day vs a play date kind of day.  This is normal life.  The kids wear whatever they want (apparently a lot of costumes), life happens wherever it happens (good or back light), nothing is planned.  It’s essentially a snapshot of a regular kind of day.  I love this snapshot into our family life! I took these photos on September 17th (last week).  AT the end of the day I realized that I had missed taking photos of lots of details and happenings, especially once it got later in the day. Oh well.  I may have to do this again once the kids are all in school.

Anyways, thought I would start with the classic first thing is the morning photo. David had already left for work (he’s out the door by 6:40 each day) and I stayed in bed until almost 8am, because I may as well. When I got up I found the kids in Calvin’s doorway playing on devices. This has become their new morning thing to do, normally they turn on the TV or head to the play area.


My morning tea and light breakfast.  The kids had their cereal while watching a cartoon this morning.


Yep, just another little tantrum about who knows what. I seriously can’t even remember already.

2D6A1660wmy life 2 900

When I got out of the shower the kids were no where to be found in the house. They were biking outside and playing at the playground when I found them.


Time to head to the shops to get few things for dinner. The teddies had to come along.

my life 3 9002D6A1684w2D6A1690w2D6A1694w

After a stop at the produce stand and grocery store, we stopped at the local car wash.  After our trip to Abbotsford last weekend the van was pretty dirty.


Time for lunch.


Once lunch was cleaned up, it was time for some school work. With there being a lack of school, the kids have been working in their workbooks, practicing printing, patterning and playing letter recognition games.

my life 1 9002D6A1712w2D6A1723e


I made some chicken soup stock in prep for yummy Zuppa Toscana copycat soup. I also made buns (no pic of that today).  Since I make buns about twice a week, this is a very usual occurrence in our house.


Sarah helped me make banana chocolate chip muffins. There is never a shortage of helpers around here.

my life 4 900


More play time…


Time to fold yet another load of laundry…seriously it can be so depressing some days. Cleaned the bathroom again as well.


Now that the laundry is done and the muffins are out of the oven (some have already been eaten), we head back outside to go for an adventure walk along the creek.  Our summer days were spent at the lake, so now we’ve been exploring other things to do out and around our place.  I’ve come to the conclusion that we live in a pretty awesome place!


I think I love places like this just as much as the kids.  Relaxing and fun!  We threw rocks and sticks and just played around.

my life 6 9002D6A1783-3w2D6A1785w2D6A1791wmy life 7w

Thankfully I had dinner mostly prepared before we headed out on our walk, since it was 4:30 by the time we got back home.  Just enough time to make up some biscuits, cut up some veggies and finish up the soup. The kids played outside where they got dirty (again). This is the view from my kitchen window.  David walked in the door shortly after.



David got home and we ate dinner (no pics).  After I cleaned up the kitchen we headed out on our first family bike ride where each person was on their own wheels.  It is so… nice to live in a place that has paved “roads” with next to no traffic where we can all ride around. We went down to the lake and then back home again.  Everyone did really well.  I would have loved photos of the “event” but somehow bringing along my camera just didn’t seem like a good idea. It was great to just enjoy the moment as a family.  Sadly I realized that none of my daily pics included David, major fail on my part.


Once the kids had their pj’s on, it was time for a little Caillou before bed.  After a short show, it’s time for a little snack, then the bedtime routine.  Brush teeth, floss, cuddle and pray.  Good night.

my life 8w

David’s been in a lot of pain for the last few weeks, turns out that he has a herniated C6 disc (top of this spine).  The doctors say that that it isn’t severe enough for surgery, but it is super bad so he has to just tough it out until it gets better. They anticipate it will take aprox four months before he is feeling good again. In the meantime he’s on a high dosage of drugs to manage the pain.  Anyways, long story short, he was exhausted by bedtime too. So we watched a show together and then he headed for bed.  Not a very exciting evening, but that’s how it goes sometimes.

* I also realized I forgot to take a pic of my usual card/ photo editing time and email checking/ FB time. Oh well, know that it happened.

Sonya - I love your “day-in-the-life” posts. After last year’s I was inspired to do one on my blog as well. 🙂

bea - phewf. i’m exhausted! seriously?! you do ALL that in one day??? INCREDIBLE! i think i do half of that in two days. haha. sheesh!

Your email is never published or shared. Required fields are marked *